Birth injuries can occur to children and their mothers during pregnancy, labour and post-delivery and the consequences can be extremely severe indeed.
Around 3% of babies born in the UK suffer from some form of birth injury and sadly this area of medical negligence is quite common.
Birth injury compensation claims are extremely complex in nature and require specialist legal advice from start to finish.
The most common birth injuries are as follows :
- Celebral palsy ( caused due to baby being starved of oxygen to brain resulting in brain damage)
- Infant death / still birth
- Injuries to Mother during birth
- Unbilical cord problems
- Reptured placentas
- Broken collar bone / shoulder Dystocia
- Hip Dysplasia
- Failure to carry out emergence caesarean meaning failure to prevent injuries
- Mismanagement during pregnancy and labour
- Brachial plexus injuries