When someone dies then the executors of their Will are responsible for collecting the estate in and distributing it in accordance with the Will. Executors are formally appointed, by the deceased, in their Will.
Many Solicitors and banks charge a percentage of the estate for dealing with the administration of an estate. Here at Laker Legal Solicitors we believe that approach to be unfair and disproportionate. The firm`s fees are determined upon the complexity of the estate and not the size of the estate.
The firm`s national hourly charging rates are set at a maximum of £200 + VAT and that rate is for our most experienced Solicitors. Our practitioner’s hourly charging rates range between £170 – £200 + VAT depending upon their individual levels of experience.
The firm`s Probate Solicitors and their respective hourly charges are as follows :
- Richard Hirst , £200 + Vat per hour
- John Hirst, £190 + Vat per hour
- Stephen Ogden, £190 + Vat per hour
- Laura Seed, £170 + Vat per hour
The exact cost will ultimately depend on the individual circumstances of the matter. By way of example if there is only 1 or 2 Beneficiaries, a limited number of bank accounts, a straight forward tax return (on form IHT205) and no house sale then legal fees would usually be in the region of £1,000 – £1,500 + Vat. A more complicated uncontentious administration of an estate (involving a full inheritance tax return) would usually cost between £2,000 – £3,000 + Vat. This would be in addition to the below disbursements:
- Probate Court fee of £155
- £0.50 for each office copy of the Grant required (1 per asset usually)
- If applicable to your case – possible fees for Trustee Act Notices in the London and Local Gazette– usually range between £200 – £400 + Vat
- Telegraphic Bank Transfer Fees when we are sending monies £25.00 + VAT
- £15.00, ID verification charge.
OUR FIXED FEE SERVICES
We may be able to provide a Fixed Fee following consideration of the complexity of the estate and overall case. In the event we are able to offer you a fixed fee then we will:
- Provide you with a fully qualified Probate Solicitor to handle your matter. This either be a Director of the firm or another Solicitor who will be supervised by a Director.
- Identify the legally appointed executors or administrators and beneficiaries
- Accurately identify the type of Probate application you will require
- Obtain the relevant documents required to make the application
- Complete the Probate Application and the relevant HMRC forms
- Draft a legal oath for you to swear
- Make the application to the District Probate Registry
- Obtain the Probate and securely send two copies to you
- Collect and distribute all the assets in the estate
In the event that there is a property to sell or transfers of land / property to deal with in connection with the estate matter then we will separately quote for the same.
Please contact us for a free initial chat over the telephone to discuss your case and see how we can help you at this difficult time.